Your Executor can provide you with advice and support on all matters that require immediate attention.
There are many pressing issues to address when a loved one dies, such as legal, tax and administrative matters concerning their affairs and estate.
“Many organisations will need to be notified of the death depending upon the circumstances.”
Some immediate considerations are:
- Are there any insurance issues on vehicles and properties?
- Is there now an unoccupied property? If so, what needs to be done about it?
- Do benefits need to be stopped and is the surviving spouse entitled to any future benefits?
- Who needs to be notified of the death?
- Where can you go for bereavement support?
- How do you stop future mail being sent for the deceased?
Below is the list of the things you may need to consider
- Accounts with: Banks, money markets.
- Payments being made: insurance policies, rental or HP agreements, stop orders, debit orders, credit cards.
- Change of name of person responsible for: electricity, telephone, car, car insurance, house insurance, TV license, etc.
- Notification of Death will need to be sent to: Employer, SARS, the Pension’s Departments, professional associations, local clubs and organisations, Local Municipality – Licensing Department (driving licence), family doctor, child’s teacher (if a parent, brother or sister has died), Medical Equipment Companies – for return of any appliances or cancellation of services, and hospital/doctors for cancellation of any appointments.
- Change of circumstances:
If the financial circumstances of the remaining family have now changed, then various allowances may be available, such as help towards widow’s pension, etc.
- Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF)
A Worker’s spouse, life partner or children have the right to claim benefits from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) when the worker dies. For more information click here.
Paying for the Funeral
If you think you may have trouble meeting the costs of the funeral, please discuss this with us at the time of arrangement. We will determine your needs and then plan a funeral taking into account your financial position at the time. Payment is due 24 hours prior to the date of the funeral. We have a supply of claim forms of most of the recognised funeral policies and will assist you to submit these claims. You will, however, have to settle our Invoice in advance. The Insurance Company will pay the proceeds out to you.
Dealing With the Deceased Estate
The administration of the estate of the deceased covers legal, tax and administrative work and can be both complex and time-consuming.
Many people prefer to appoint a professional to administer the estate on their behalf.
At Sonja Smith Funeral Group (Pty) Ltd all of our clients have access to financial advice and support from a Certified Financial Planner following the death of a loved one. Contact Rian van Rensburg on 082 555 9671 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Sonja Smith Bereavement Care offers “First Session Free” help and advice to those coming to terms with the death of a loved one. People deal with death and bereavement in many different ways. Sonja Smith Bereavement Care is there to care for the bereaved and to help those who have suffered the death of a friend or family member to understand their grief and cope with their loss.
The Compassionate Friends Support Group offers help and understanding to all bereaved parents who suffered the loss of a child/children irrespective of age, race or denomination.
The Support Group provides free support, information and advice, as well as training services. For more information visit The Compassionate Friends.
We have a full range of CD’s Conversations on Grief by Braam Klopper available at all our branches.
Looking to the future
The death of a loved one often prompts many people to consider whether they have made adequate provision for their family when they pass on. Drafting a will can ensure that the interests of your loved ones will be taken care of should you pass away. Rian Janse van Rensburg, a Certified Financial Planner with twenty five years experience is available by appointment at our Centurion Branch to assist you. We also have a full range of Funeral Insurance Policies available Online and will gladly assist you with any enquiries. Contact us.
It is now the time to get your Personal File in order. Go to MY LIFE FILE under Preplanning and make sure your affairs are in order…