Branch Locator

- Est 2006 -


divider The Affairs of the Deceased  divider

The Affairs of the Deceased

There are many pressing issues to address when a loved one dies, such as legal, tax and administrative matters concerning their affairs and estate.

“Many organisations will need to be notified of the death depending upon the circumstances.”

  • Accounts with: Banks, money markets.
  • Payments being made: insurance policies, rental or HP agreements, stop orders, debit orders, credit cards.
  • Change of name of person responsible for: electricity, telephone, car, car insurance, house insurance, TV license, etc.
  • Notification of Death will need to be sent to: Employer, SARS, the Pension’s Departments, professional associations, local clubs and organisations, Local Municipality – Licensing Department (driving licence), family doctor, child’s teacher (if a parent, brother or sister has died), Medical Equipment Companies – for return of any appliances or cancellation of services, and hospital/doctors for cancellation of any appointments.
  • Change of circumstances:
    If the financial circumstances of the remaining family have now changed, then various allowances may be available, such as help towards widow’s pension, etc.
  • Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF)

A Worker’s spouse, life partner or children have the right to claim benefits from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) when the worker dies.  For more information click here.

The administration of the estate of the deceased covers legal, tax and administrative work and can be both complex and time-consuming.
Many people prefer to appoint a professional to administer the estate on their behalf.

At Sonja Smith Funeral Group (Pty) Ltd all of our clients have access to financial advice and support from a Certified Financial Planner following the death of a loved one. Contact Rian van Rensburg on 082 555 9671 or e-mail to find out more.

Call 24/7 - 079 895 4414