Dealing with the Affairs of the Deceased

Things to remember about the deceased estate

Deceased Estate Administration

Two things become pressing matters very quickly after a loved one’s passing – their funeral arrangements and their deceased estate administration. The are many deceased affairs to deal with and the deceased estate that comes into existence after death has various laws and regulations. This determines how the executor can go about the deceased estate administration and the deceased affairs directly connected to that. While the executor is often named in the Last Will & Testament, f this person still has to be officially appointed by the Master of the High Court. While a private individual can be the executor of a deceased estate, it is often advised that a lawyer, law firm, auditor, trust company or someone with legal knowledge takes up the responsibility of the deceased estate administration due to the role’s legal nature.

Things you may need to Consider

Even if an executor deals with the majority of the deceased affairs, it is good to know what is happening, e.g.

  • Accounts with banks, money markets, etc.
  • Payments being made for insurance policies, rental or HP agreements, stop orders, debit orders, credit cards.
  • Change of name of the person responsible for electricity, telephone, vehicles, vehicle insurance, house insurance, TV license, etc.
  • Notification of Death will need to be sent to the employer, SARS, banks, the pension departments, professional associations, local clubs and organisations, cellphone provider, local municipality – licensing department (driving licence), family doctor, child’s teacher (if a parent, brother or sister has died), medical equipment companies – for return of any appliances or cancellation of services, and hospital/doctors for cancellation of any appointments.
  • Change of circumstances: If the financial circumstances of the remaining family have now changed, then various allowances may be available, such as help towards the widow’s pension, etc.
  • Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF): A Worker’s spouse, life partner or children have the right to claim benefits from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) within a specific window of time after the worker dies.

Dealing with the Deceased Estate

The administration of the estate of the deceased covers legal, tax and administrative work and can be both complex and time-consuming.
Many people prefer to appoint a professional to administer the estate on their behalf.

At Sonja Smith Elite Funeral Group our clients have access to financial advice and support from a Certified Financial Planner following the death of a loved one.
Contact Rian van Rensburg on 082 555 9671 or e-mail to find out more.

If you have any questions,
please fill in the form below and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.